UConn Reads Resources
Additional resources surrounding this year’s UConn Reads theme, Acceptance, Creativity, and Joy: An Asian American Sci-Fi Journey into Transgender Identity Formation, within UConn and external to the university are available below. Partners across the University are also developing special initiatives on this year’s UConn Reads theme, which will be highlighted on this page.
UConn: Trans South Asian Decolonial Critic Lab YouTube Channel
UConn Rainbow Center
The Rainbow Center’s mission is to operate in the service of a more equitable world for all students, faculty, and staff at the University of Connecticut. Using an intersectional lens, we center our work on advocating for, and increasing education, access, retention, identity development, and community-building for queer- and trans-spectrum communities.
UConn Asian American Cultural Center
The Asian American Cultural Center at UConn aims to provide resources to enhance the University’s diversity commitment through its recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, service, and outreach to the Asian American community on campus and beyond. Central to all its programming, the AsACC assists students in exploring and defining their cultural identity in multicultural America. The AsACC provides a supportive environment for students, faculty, and staff that encourages academic excellence, personal development, community engagement, and professional leadership.
- Resources on understanding and supporting the Trans Community hosted by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- A Community of Contrasts: Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders in the San Gabriel Valley (Asian Americans Advancing Justice, Los Angeles)
- New Survey Collecting LGBTQ+ Data First in Connecticut (article posted May 1, 2021)
- State of Connecticut Guidance on Civil Rights Protections and Supports for Transgender Students (2017)
- Travel Project Website (with multiple research briefs)
External Organizations & Alliances
- Smithsonian Asian Pacific American Center
- National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
- SEARAC: a national civil rights organization that empowers Cambodian, Laotian, and Vietnamese American communities to create a socially just and equitable society.
- Khmer Health Advocates (KHA): an organization created to ensure appropriate access to healthcare is available to the Cambodian American survivors of the Khmer Rouge genocide, along with their families. Based in West Hartford, CT.
National and Local Reporting
Human Rights Council Reporting:
- Dismantling a Culture of Violence: Understanding Anti-Transgender Violence and Ending the Crisis (Human Rights Campaign Foundation)
- An Epidemic of Violence: Fatal Violence Against Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People in the U.S. in 2020 (Human Rights Campaign Foundation)
- National Coming Out Day Youth Report
- Asian Pacific Islander Youth Report
- Latinx Youth Report